We know the pandemic and virtual learning have been difficult for our families and staff. We appreciate the hard work, dedication, and time that you have devoted to learning. This communication is to update you on our second quarter learning plan. We will continue to monitor developments in our district as well as the recommendations of the Cuyahoga County Board of Health, and inform you of changes moving forward.
Our leadership team is finalizing the decision on returning to in-person learning using a hybrid model for Euclid Middle School, with a return to the building on Monday, October 26. Euclid High School will remain in a virtual format, but we are reviewing the option of providing expanded in-person support for students. We will share more information on both the middle and high school learning plans next week.
The information below is for families of preschool through grade five students and will be in place for the second quarter.
Preschool students will return, in-person, to a four-day week (Monday - Thursday), with students divided into morning and afternoon sessions. We will not run full-day classrooms in-person at this time.
Kindergarten through grade 5 students will be returning to learning using a hybrid format beginning on Monday, October 19 - the first day of the second quarter. The hybrid format means a combination of in-person instruction in our classrooms and virtual learning at-home.
As we transition to hybrid-learning, please be aware there is a possibility that students may be assigned to new teachers, and potentially a new school. Euclid Virtual Learning Academy (virtual only) students may also receive a new teacher as we adjust staffing. We understand this is not ideal and may cause some stress, but this will allow for us to meet the health recommendations for students and staff in each school building.
Euclid Virtual Learning Academy
Currently, all students (PK-5) are participating in the Euclid Virtual Learning Academy format. Families who wish to continue learning in this format have the option of signing up to remain in the Euclid Virtual Learning Academy (EVLA). Click this link to remain in the virtual learning-only option for the second quarter. PLEASE NOTE: If you signed up for the virtual option earlier this year, you will need to sign up again.
The sign-up period will expire on Friday, September 25 at 5:00 p.m.
If you do not sign up for the Euclid Virtual Learning Academy (EVLA), you will be assigned to the hybrid (in-person + virtual) learning format. If you want your child(ren) to participate in the hybrid model, you do not have to take any action.
Hybrid Learning Format
Students who return to in-person learning through the hybrid format will be assigned to a Blue or Gold cohort to ensure proper social distancing and meeting other health recommendations.
The Blue Cohort will attend school in-person on Monday & Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. - 1:10 p.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, students will complete assignments at-home on their own during the day, and receive virtual support from teachers between 2:50 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. More details about student learning on Friday will come from your child’s principal and classroom teacher.
The Gold Cohort will attend school in-person on Tuesday & Thursday from 9:00 a.m. - 1:10 p.m. On Monday and Wednesday, students will complete assignments at-home on their own during the day, and receive virtual support from teachers between 2:50 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. More details about student learning on Friday will come from your child’s principal and classroom teacher.
Once again, if you want your child(ren) to participate in the hybrid model, you do not have to take any action. More details about your assigned cohort will be provided to you by early October.
Eligible students will receive transportation, including all ELV students.
Breakfast and Lunch
Breakfast and lunch will be sent home with students. For safety reasons, we cannot have structured meals at the schools at this time. Food pickup will also be available from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. at these sites.
The safety of our students and educators is our top priority. We know families may be concerned about returning to in-person learning and we are providing measures to keep your children and our teachers safe and healthy.
Experts advise that health measures are best when they create multiple layered protections. Each of the protections helps prevent the spread of COVID-19. We have taken a multi-layered approach to keep the schools safe. The following is a summary of many of the layers of protection.
- Social Distancing will be accomplished through the hybrid approach to reopening which will reduce the number of students in school by half, thus meeting the guidance on distancing.
- Hand Cleaning Stations - Buildings will plan for hand cleaning breaks to occur every two hours.
- Face Coverings - Face coverings are required for all students Pk-12. We will work with families of students that struggle to wear face coverings, especially with our younger students.
- Student Transition and Movement in the School - Students will remain in their classroom and teachers will rotate to the classroom (if necessary). Restroom breaks and hand cleaning breaks will be coordinated at each school building to ensure proper social distancing.
- School Clinic & Health Containment Room - Students exhibiting symptoms or with a temperature above 100.4 degrees will be sent to the Health Safety Containment Room to wait for family pick-up. Families will self-assess their children prior to leaving for school. The school clinic is for medication distribution, minor injuries, and non-COVID symptom-related matters.
- Temperature Checks - Temperature monitoring systems at each school building entry area will scan for high temperatures.
- Cleaning Schools & Classrooms - Common surface areas will be cleaned throughout the day and deep cleaning will take place nightly. This includes the additional measure of foggers as part of the nightly cleaning.
- Air Quality & Ventilation - All Euclid City School buildings are fully climate-controlled which ensures proper air quality and ventilation.
- We installed ionization technology directly into our HVAC system. Ionization technology has been proven to kill COVID and other airborne viruses and pathogens.
- Visitors are to be kept to a minimum, and there are not to be field trips and assemblies. Any school-family meeting and visits will be by advanced appointment only.